Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Polarization

I am, at this time, blessed to be away for a few days in San Diego where I am attending a leadership (ministry oriented) conference. As conferences go I have had both positive and negative experiences this week. I've sat through some REALLY boring stuff, but some of what I've been blessed to hear and learn is profound, and I will be forever changed.
Yesterday I attended a day-long intensive discussing leadership from a true biblical perspective. Today a "Sowing the Seed" workshop gave me a fresh view about developing ministry partners. What I am doing just because it's what God has led me to do, was confirmed, and I now have practical ideas about how to continue.

Tullian Tchividjian (I've learned to pronounce his last name, and it rhymes with religion.") spoke this morning. That alone was worth the price of admission. You may want to pick up a copy of his newest book, (Surprised by Grace) if you often wonder just how much is enough to seal the deal with The Lord to get His blessing.

So, that part's been good. Even had some bad weather I was not at all prepared for blow in this evening. I enjoyed getting dinner to bring back to my room where I cranked up the heat and stayed in to relax.

But, speaking of food this is where I've encountered my biggest challenge. Nothing unusual about this for events such as these, but each time I get frustrated and ask myself why I keep getting into situations I know are going to be a problem.

Every meal I've ordered has been a hassle. And, I've had a couple of things I thought were safe--but judging some the response of my gut and the sores in the corners of my mouth, I've gotten gluten in some form. Last night I ordered one of the few things on the menu that was one of the least expensive choices, but which I was relatively certain would be safe. My bill was over $30---just for ONE person. Oh, and that was just an entree. No soup, salad or appetizer.

I've been eating breakfast in my room which has cost me $10 a day extra for the refrigerator. At least I know it's safe.

Today, I discovered a salad at the little deli on the resort campus that is safe and good, I had that for both lunch and dinner. Though I hate not having variety, it's have more frustration as I try to find something else I can eat, or just eat it and be glad. At the moment my nose is twitching rabbit-like from all the greens.

What I'd most like to point out is the difficulty for me to do something that the majority of our population take for granted. My experience here this week makes me desire even that much more for NAET treatments to be successful. I am weary of this constant frustration and limitation!!! There is probably no other treatment to try to clear up this problem. That, in itself is HARD.

Think of your most favorite wheat product. This exercise doesn't include barley and rye. Let's just stick with the one grain I CANNOT eat in ANY form. What is your choice? Pasta? Homemade bread/rolls? Flour tortillas? Croutons on your salad or your French Onion soup? How about something Asian? Good luck finding mainstream Asian food (Chinese, Japanese, Thai) without gluten.

Do you get it? Do you understand how hard it is for me when people tell me I can go to a pizza place and have salad (Oh Lord! Not another salad!). Or, Panda Express because they have rice and steamed veggies. Not another vegetable plate! YES-it's only food and that's the impression I get from folks. "Oh, come one. You can find SOMETHING there, can't you? After all they do have a stalk of celery you can chew on while we eat our Orange Chicken." I can't help but wonder if the shoe were on the other foot?????

Or maybe this is just way too important to me, and I should just quit whining and suck it up. After all there are people in this world who'd love to have just a simple bowl of rice with our without vegetables. I may be super-sensitive, but it's still no fun, and I can talk myself into it being OK all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment