Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Back for one more round...or whatever...

In the past months I've had a couple of bouts of insomnia that pushed me toward the edge. As I've communicated in the past, my job and life is extremely stressful. Without adequate sleep I'm toast.

I've discussed this with my Natural Practitioner and her opinion is that I've given up too soon. She and another man from New York with whom I've become acquainted through Facebook, agree that combination testing/treatments are in order. John Crandall told me he had one patient he treated every week for three (3) years with the basic 15 and then with combinations before she was able to resume a normal diet. Let's see...52 x $50 a treatment= $7800. That's a lot of time and money. Although, I guess worth it IF I could get a guarantee. There's only one guarantee of I know in life and that is that God is in control and I can trust Him.

I still have quite a lot of trouble with Restless Leg Syndrome too. Enough that it keeps me from sleeping well too often. At this point that's been pretty much the focus for my return treatments. I'm taking digestive enzymes and doing some exercises for about a month. I don't see any improvement, but the exercises have helped me to have more flexibility. That's good.

I've had a couple of combination treatments. Grain and egg/chicken mix; grain and calcium mix and if I remember a grain and sugar mix. After the last treatment I didn't have a retest. I had an appointment that somehow didn't make it on the appointment records, so I rescheduled. Then I got to thinking about the cost of the enzymes (NOT cheap!) and the family budget. So, I cancelled all appts for a month while I tried the enzymes. I've been faithful to take them 3 times a day as directed with no improvement with RLS.

Tomorrow at my appointment we will discuss this and more. I've not sure where I'm going to go from here. Pamala has been more than fair and offered treatments at a reduced rate which has been very welcome. Chuck is hesitant for me to continue treatments when I haven't achieved any real appreciable/major results. When I sleep I sleep well, but there are nights that it seems no matter what I do the RSL just won't go away. This week I've had a couple of those nights and I'm whipped.

I used to get little cracks from blisters in the corners of my mouth all the time even when, as far as I knew I was gluten free. I haven't experienced that for several months. That IS a relief as they are quite painful.

I'm going to resume posting for awhile to keep a record of all that goes on. For now I'll record that the enzymes I take are Enzyme Solutions Formula # 11 three times per day along with Private Label (Distributed by Enzyme Formulations, Inc) Pro-NH3-3 capsules, 3 times per day. Both at any time. I take in the morning, mid afternoon and in the late evening.
I'm also taking as needed Enzymatic Gluten-Ease. I take 2-3 whenever I eat out if there is a risk what I'm eating may not be totally safe. I can't eat something like bread or other heavy gluten food and not have a reaction if I take these, but I am not having periodic issues as I have all along.

One very positive thing is that there are LOTS more good gluten free choices than just a few years ago. I've been introduced to Katz Gluten Free out of New York. Their products are excellent. Again it's expensive especially with shipping.

My local store is beginning to carry a considerably larger selection of gluten free products. It's easier. I'd still prefer to be able to eat normally.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm familiar with NAET but what are laser treatments? Can you point me in the right direction to read more about it? NAET is working well for me, but you mentioned having 4 treatments in one, which sounds a lot more affordable! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    Lazer treatments are another allergy elimination treatment. My practitioner charges $150 per treatment. Sometimes, it's good and sometimes not because the NAET treatments are "deeper" whereas the lazer treatments are more "broad."
    I had the lazer treatmenst as part of the basic 15. The grain lazer treatment I had only after a few NAET treatments for grain since that's my problem area. A good thing about the
    laser treatments is there is no avoidance period. That's very nice. I guess you would have to locate a practitioner who does the laser treatments. Mine is in Redlands, Ca.
    Do you have Celiac Disease or using NAET for other issues?
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,

    How many total treatments have you had? My son is now on #41. I do see improvement in him, but I still think we're at the tip of the iceberg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi "mom,"

    I think "the tip of the iceberg" is exactly right. I didn't realize when I began treatments in February 2010 there were so many layers of problems.

    I began with one treatment a week and kept that up pretty much till I finished the basic 15. Then I had a couple extra grain treatments including a laser treatment for grain mixture.

    I'm now having combination treatments. For example: grain/eggs, grain/calcium, grain/sugar, etc, etc. In between I requested a treatment for almonds. It dawned on me about a year ago, before I even heard of NAET that almonds caused some problems for me. I ate a LOT of them because it's a quick, nutritious, portable, satisfying snack. Those of us with Celiac Disease are always looking for things we can carry along in case it turns out there's nothing around that's safe for us to eat. On my initial test almonds was on the list as the greatest problem for me. Alas--I've given them up since then, but since a lot of gluten free food contains almonds because they have so much nutrition/flavor, avoiding them became another issue. I'll try some tomorrow and see what happens.

    One practitioner I've been in contact with told me he had a patient who had one treatment a week for three (3) years. That's a lot of time and money, but the end result is that your child will be able to enjoy a relatively normal diet, I think it would be worth it. Esp with Eczema--that's so uncomfortable to try and just live with.

    Sometimes I wonder for myself it it's worth all this, and then I think of the improvement I've enjoyed and read more about taking care of myself especially as I age. I want to do what I can to increase my energy and health as I don't think I'll ever be able to retire. I'll continue to post about my experience with the treatments and the enzymes to give my ailing digestive system a boost.

    ReplyDelete